www.joyfulnoisekids.com    |    www.jnnutritionnews.blogspot.com    |    www.joyfulnoisekids.com/pdfs/nutritionexpeditioncalendar.pdf      |   Nutrition@JoyfulNoiseKids.com    

Monday, January 12, 2015

Week 16 of Nutrition Expedition: Scrutinizing Sweet Potatoes!

January 5-9th, 2015

Scrutinizing Sweet Potatoes!

Welcome back from the holiday break! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year! I know I did :) It was very nice to get back into the regular routine this week and investigate some new foods with the children!

We really dug deep while discussing and exploring sweet potatoes in Nutrition Expedition! After the children guessed what was in the "Mystery Bag", we talked about how sweet potatoes are a root vegetable and grow underneath the ground. Most of the sweet potatoes we see are orange on the inside, but they can also be white, yellow, red, pink, or purple! While we discussed, the children were able to sample some healthy snacks from our nibble trays (ruby red grapefruit, tangerines, a variety of beans, kiwi, yellow peppers, and carrots). We taste-tested a sweet potato that I had lightly sauteed in olive oil with a pinch of salt, and talked about what it does for our bodies. The older infants were even able to enjoy this tasty treat! Follow the link below to read about the health benefits of a sweet potato:


Here are some pictures of the children enjoying the nibble trays and checking out the sweet potato!