December 1-5, 2014
We had beans galore this week in Nutrition Expedition! We sampled black beans, black-eyed peas, garbanzo beans (chick peas), great northern beans, pinto beans, and lima beans. Each student had their own chart to fill out (see sample below) as they tasted each type of bean.
The children were then able to choose their favorite type of bean (a dried version) to grow. We placed them in a ziploc bag with a wet paper towel, and we'll observe them over the coming weeks to see what happens! I also made a picture book for them to keep in their classrooms, so they could see what the beans look like on the plant before being picked and compare them to how they look when ready to eat.
The infants enjoyed a calming yoga and massage session, and were ready for a sensory experience with dried beans and reading the book, Eat Green, by Jean Feldman and Holly Karapetkova.
As a special surprise this week, I brought in a very strange citrus fruit called "Buddha's Hand"! I had never before seen such a thing when I discovered them in the produce section of Meijer. I can only describe it as "squid-like"! It resembles the texture and scent of a lemon, but has finger-like tentacles protruding from it. I couldn't resist picking one up to share with the children :)! After doing some research, I found that it is a native fruit to north-eastern India, and is often given as a religious offering in Buddhist temples. It is said that Buddha prefers the fruit with closed "fingers", as it resembles a closed hand in the act of prayer. It is also a symbol of happiness, longevity, and good fortune! Follow the link to find out more:
Here are some pictures of our exciting adventures in Nutrition Expedition:
















































