www.joyfulnoisekids.com    |    www.jnnutritionnews.blogspot.com    |    www.joyfulnoisekids.com/pdfs/nutritionexpeditioncalendar.pdf      |   Nutrition@JoyfulNoiseKids.com    

Friday, March 18, 2016

Week 25 of Nutrition Expedition: Brain Analysis

March 14- 18, 2016

Brain Analysis

We became neurologists this week in Nutrition Expedition, studying, experimenting, dissecting (and even eating :D) a variety of brains:  an ice brain, a jello brain, brain playdough, and brain textures (for the younger groups).


             


A few weeks ago, we ordered a gelatin brain mold, by far one of my most exciting purchases as a teacher. I know, I'm kind of a science nerd :) The possibilities are endless! In preparation for this week, I've been making brains made of ice for days (one for each classroom)! The children experimented with them by using eyedroppers filled with food coloring and water to pour different colors over the brain. We also tried sprinkling salt on the brains to see what would happen. It was very interesting!

Next up was the jello brain! What a fascinating treat it was! I incorporated fat-free evaporated milk to the jello to create an opaque effect. I had a lot of difficulty achieving a nice grey color, so they ended up turning out anywhere from maroon to dark purple to olive green (ewww!). The children didn't mind, however. They were delicious. I dressed in doctor scrubs and pretended to perform surgery on the brain, dishing up a slice for each child. Their reactions were priceless when they found out they were going to eat a brain!

For the brain playdough, I found this blog with instructions. I was very excited to try this new recipe, but was quite disappointed with the results. The recipe was as follows: 



I was not able to get the consistency that it should have had (not enough liquid ingredients), so I gave it a second-go. This time, I modified the recipe by boiling 4 cups of water, added the food coloring, then poured it into the dry ingredients with the oil. I kneaded it into a dough, instead of cooking it on the stove-top. It was still a little dry and crumbly (similar to "moon sand"), but it did the trick!

With the younger children, I also wanted to provide them with a texture experience; I filled pieces of nylon stocking with cold, cooked noodles. It had a squishy, brain-like feel! They loved it!


Super Sleuth Questions

1. What were the brains made out of this week in Nutrition Expedition? (answers:  jello, playdough, ice, and noodles)

2. What did you put on the ice brain during your experiment? (answer:  food coloring and salt)

3. What was your favorite kind of brain that Ms. Kelli B. brought in?